Heavy haulage experts, transport specialists, Multi-Trans. Over Dimensional and Heavy Haulage Transportation in NZ

CALL US NOW +64 9 273 2361

Email: sales@multi-trans.co.nz


Page 1 of 2  > >>

Yolla Accommodation Unit 580 tonne

Nov 15, 2011

The eyes of both the energy world and heavy haulage industry focused on Taranaki at 10pm on...

Read more..

Mahinerangi Wind Farm Components

Jul 22, 2011

Transport of 36 towers up to 28.5m x 4.1m x 4.1m - each weighing up to 76 tonne, 36...

Read more..

Tiwai Point - 170 tonne Transformer

Jun 30, 2010

The first of two 170 tonne transformers built in Brisbane and bound for New Zealand Aluminium...

Read more..

Tiwai Point - 170 tonne Transformer

The first of two 170 tonne transformers built in Brisbane and bound for New Zealand Aluminium Smelters(NZAS) at Tiwai Point, New Zealand's southern-most point in Bluff was by no means your average move.  Multi-Trans Ltd won the contract in June 2009 to shift the first of the transformers from dock-side at Bluff to the Tiwai Point Smelter and with the successful completion of that job in May 2010, are now gearing up for the second delivery from Brisbane, which is due in September. 

The transformer - 8.95 metres long by 5.19 metres wide and 4.8 metres high - wasTiwai Point 170T Transformer barged up the Bluff estuary.  This was necessary as the Tiwai Bridge was under repair and could not have handled the weight of this beast.  After a wait for the tide to go out, a Multi-Trans Mercedes tractor unit with a 300 tonne towing capacity hauled the transformer off the barge and a second tractor was positioned behind the platform trailer to assist in the seven kilometre haul to the Smelter.

The following day the transformers header was removed and the trailer hauled round to the switch-yard entrance where preparations were made for jacking and skidding.

Two days after it's arrival at Bluff the transformer was manoevered 500 metres through the switch-yard, a process slowed by the narrow driveway - just eight metres wide - and the need for power lines to be raised ahead of it and dropped back behind.  This took a day and another day was spent jacking the transformer up off the trailer and inserting the beams that allowed the trailer to be removed.

May 3 saw the transformer skidded along the beams to be adjacent to its final resting place on a pad, from where it was skidded into position the next day.

After a tidy up of the site, this huge job was completed in under a week and Multi-Trans staff and equipment were making their way back up the length of the country to base in Auckland to prepare for their next job.